Friday, August 28, 2009

quotations

Some quotations I've come across recently that I really loved:
"I sometimes think that making a film is a little bit like falling in love. At the school, I just filmed the kids who liked me and those I liked. I was thinking, 'Alex, I absolutely love you. I want to film you. I want to know who you are. I genuinely want to find out why you are here.' And so it wasn't as if I were filming somebody I didn't care about."
-Kim Longinotto on Hold Me Tight, Let Me Go

"I've always had a big passion for history...and people's lives and all the little events, how you get from A to B...all the small details of people's lives that are full of really epic qualities."
-Alfred Molina in Coffee and Cigarettes
Also would recommend taking a look at Longinotto's documentary. It follows several kids at Mulberry Bush School for troubled children in Oxford. She's been described as a filmmaker known for "creating extraordinary human portraits and tackling controversial topics with sensitivity and compassion." What a wonderful reputation to have. Ties in well with the second quotation, too, I think!

No comments: